Did a 18-22weeks scan on a pregnant lady yesterday.
The moment I put the transducer on her tummy, (in less than 10 seconds),
"Is my baby normal ? "she asked.
(OMG, it was just lesss than 10 seconds, what do u expect me to say? NORMAL? ABNORMAL?)
However, I politely said, "I just started, I cant tell yet." then continue taking a general quick look at the baby, and start taking pictures.
In 18-22 weeks scan, we need to take lot's of pictures, it's a structural scan of the fetus to detect any major abnormalities that might end up needing special care during delivery.
Then, in less than 10 seconds again, she couldnt control herself and popped out the same question again.
(Wow, are u going to repeat this question again and again every 10second throughout this 45 minutes scan?) (I could hear her husband standing at my back taking deep breath in quite a few times, I guess he couldnt stand her also.. LOL)
Then, I answered, "I need to concentrate for the scan now, and will explain to u part by part what we looking at, and in this scan we can just see the stuctures normal or not, and not the function. And sometimes, some minor defect we might still miss, some abnormalities will develope only in later stage of pregnancy, bla bla bla..... " I know, for this kind of patient, they "long wind", u have to be more "long wind" than them. Make it clear, or they will come back and blame u later.
"So now we are looking at XXXX, looks normal ... bla bla bla"
Then she asked about the gender of the baby, looks like a girl. (never say 100% though =P)
She's so kancheong about the gender and telling me about there's a bet going on between their family and friends, some said boy some said girl.
(I think she's the kind of australian that like to bet on everything ie: world cup, AFL, melbourne cup, ... ,, and she said yes. LOL )
At the end of the scan, i found out that the fetus feet looks a bit funny in shape, and told her I'm not quite happy with the feet shape... will get radiologist or colleague to double check. I thought she would be a bit pushy and asking lot's of question, but no ... what she concern about is "can u double check the gender again?" .I showed her again and it's still a girl. Then she ask again, "can u do a 3D on the gender and have a good look? " (I was thinking, OhNO, now what i'm worrying is ur baby girl's feet, and u worry about the gender bacause of the bet!! ) (i refused doing a 3D on that, ofcoz gave some reasonable excuse politely also lah. hahaha...)
Then, radiologist came in and had a look at BB's feet.. bla bla bla... explain to them. And I still dun feel the mom worrying about it, but asked radiologist to triple check the BB's gender!
I nearly fainted... Doink ~~
What I suspect was Rocker Bottom feet, but the radiologist seems not so convinced, and said should be OK. Just follow-up again and we'll see.... hopefully the radiologist is right for the benefit of the BB girl.
Sometimes in our job , it's just frustrated, u found smtg wrong in patient, u are very happy u found it (because all these while u just read about it in textbook, and now u really found it by urself, ofcoz u're very excited ). But at the same time, I'll stand on patient's feet and think, oh no, I've got this and this disease/tumour. I feel bad for them at the sametime.
But that's why they are in my room for, so that we could help them in diagnosis, find out what's wrong and treat it for better life quality.
OK, I need to go back to my books... exam coming... in 20days ! Opps.....
Pingu


No comments:
Post a Comment